2.09.2010

The Simple Things


Although I have grown to love hockey, it tends to take Dalton away from me much more than I would like.
Yesterday was not an exception to that rule. However, I want him to be able to be involved in something he loves... therefore I oblige. So, last night I was curled up in our bed with our two partners in crime, Kobe and Sydney. They have to be the sweetest dogs that ever did live. Together they total up to a whopping 5 pounds... you heard me- COMBINED. So, while they're not much for a watch dog, they're great cuddle buddies. (I should side note that they are only allowed on our bed when Dalt is gone). :0)

Now that we have that cleared up- last night the pups were sleeping at my legs while I was reading... just precious. I noticed that Sydney was having a hard time getting comfortable...she was pretty restless. But, nonetheless, she was exhausted. After a little while, she walked right up on my stomach and laid her head on my chest. Ah, I just melted!

Now to understand how significant this is, you must know my Sydney. She was my Christmas present from Dalton this year. Weighing in at 2.8 pounds, she's my beautiful little Morkie. However, she is nothing like my 3 year old poodle, Kobe. NOTHING! Kobe is my snuggler, he loves his mama, he loves to be held, babied, ect. Sydney, on the other hand, is extremely independent, would rather lay beside you than in your lap, wants to walk on her own and be adventurous. She is notorious for climbing things she shouldn't... no fear in her! But there are those few times.... really rare times when she climbs up in your lap and she's like, "Okay, now you can love me, kiss me, baby me, rub my belly, ect.". It's usually one of two things: 1) She is extremely overtired or 2) She doesn't feel well. Nevertheless, when she finally does it... I just treasure that moment and eat her up because I know that it won't last for long.

So, last night was one of those rare nights. It was so precious how she curled up just as close as she could be... she wanted to tuck her head right under my chin. And as I'm looking at her, rubbing her fat little puppy belly, loving the moment... it was just like God said to me, "This is what you do to me."

"You like to be independent. You like to do your own thing. But then there are those times, when you're usually 1) Overly tired and exhausted or 2) Not feeling well (things are hard or not going your way). And then you come running to me like... "Okay now you can comfort me. Now you can encourage me. Now I need you to love me." And it was like God whisped in my ear, "It's those moments that I treasure, that I long for."

It's crazy how the simple things in life can give you such a clear picture. I just wanted to share this simple lesson that God taught me last night and hopefully it will minister to you as well. The point of all this is... He loves you. God loves spending time with you, treasuring you. And He wants your attention and focus everyday. Not just when you need Him for something, for help. He desires to be your shoulder all of the time. If you haven't spent time with Him today, in His Word... I encourage you to do so. There's nothing like it!

Here's my prayer for the day:
"One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in his temple."  Psalm 27:4

No comments: